Meeting called to order at 6:40pm by James B. (Chair). All in attendance introduced themselves. James motions to adopt agenda, seconded by Jenny N. Minutes reviewed; James motions to adopt minutes, seconded by Janet T. (Member at Large).
Chair’s Report (James B.)
- Hot Lunch: Last one for the school year (June 18).
- Productive year: 8 Hot Lunches, Entertainment Book Sale, Cookie/Pie Sale, Easter Egg Hunt, Clothing Drive, Staff Appreciation Luncheon, Completion of the Playground, 5 PAC Meetings and 1 Special Meeting for By-Law amendments. Parent volunteers also supported 2 Library Book Fairs, Breakfast with Santa and the Fun Fair. Thank you volunteers.
- Good Bye: After 6 years on the PAC executive and Chairing for 5 of those years, James will not be seeking re-election. He thanks this year’s executive committee members as well as past ones who served with him. He also thanks Hot Lunch volunteers (past and present), and all the parents who volunteer that make Renfrew such a great school. James thanks staff and administration with special thanks to leaving VP Peter Woo, who has done so much for PAC over the years.
- Budget Update: PAC’s final 2012-13 budget was $15,750, thanks to some great fundraising effort. PAC contributed $1500 to software program for LAC and ELL and $222.04 for the garden/outdoor classroom.
- Motion to accept Annual Chair’s Report, seconded by Nancy V. (Treasurer). James and his wife Esther B. (Vice-Chair) receive many complements, thank yous and a round of applause.
Fun Fair (Colleen T. - Fundraiser)
- $474.51 profit, and received many positive revues - Profits went to the school’s garden/outdoor classroom.
Treasurer’s Report (Nancy V.)
- Of the $15,750.00 2012-13 budget - PAC spent $14,930.42 as of May 31.
- General Account - balance as of May 31st (fiscal year end) is $5,332.67.
- Gaming Account - balance as of May 31st (fiscal year end) is $ 0.00.
- Motion to accept Annual Treasurer’s Report, seconded by Esther B.
Principal’s Report (Hugh Blackman)
- New VP, Selma Smith. Still in process with HR for Montessori grade 1 and 2 positions.
- New Prep Music teacher hired Tonia Young. She is wonderful and comes highly recommended!
- Next year we will open another Montessori 1 and 2 class. ·
- Numbers in neighbourhood lower so two Divisions surplus (Dity Arvanitis and Leone Payson).
- K numbers are growing and this is hopeful that we have reached the bottom for enrollment decline and neighbourhood program will build again.
- Before and Afterschool Care has been arranged for summer at Renfrew School and we are working with licensing to expand to 45 spots for September.
- Successful Sports Day and many other events at Renfrew. Follow us on twitter and the webpage!
- Great turn out to thank our Volunteers this week.
- Staff is planning a special Aboriginal Day on June 19, which will involve Métis dance workshops, traditional story –telling, Red Fox group doing Coast Salish drumming and other events/ workshops. Bannock for all students at the end of the day.
- District budget resulted in closure of our out building and we have secured a new spot for the District Special Remedial class.
- The District has just installed the new Wi-Fi access for our school and we are looking to continue to upgrade our Tech resources to help augment good teaching and learning. We will be looking for a couple of parents and students to be on a District Focus group to look at ideas like BYOD (Bring Your Own Devices).
- Renfrew School has developed a new Digital Code of Conduct to be rolled out next September. We haven’t had many problems with use of technology and want to be proactive in teaching students appropriate digital use for learning.
- Track and Field was well represented at the recent VSB Track Meet with over 40 students attending. Thanks to all staff for their help coaching.
- Adult ELL classes will hopefully be restarted this Fall as we are working to advertise and promote these.
- Linda Kwan and I are working on booking 4 performances that PAC has graciously committed to fund.
- Thanks to PAC for great year of support for our students learning—fieldtrip support, performances, Literacy resources, playground finalized, school garden project, computer and tech support.
Vice Principal Peter Woo says farewell: He will be leaving after 7 (self described) ‘good’ years at Renfrew. He thanks PAC and will miss Renfrew. He receives praise and a round of applause.
2013-14 PAC Budget: Unanimously approved. View it here.
Executive Election Results
- Chair: Colleen T.
- Treasurer: Michelle W.
- Secretary: Neena B.
- Fundraiser(s): Janet T. and Yuki T.
- Member(s) at Large: Rachel C. and Gina P.
**SPC and DPAC elections held off until the next PAC meeting in September 2013.
- Questions and long discussion ensued surrounding the Montessori Parents Group’s finances and financial reporting. A suggestion was made that they show their financial reports like PAC does with our General and Gaming Accounts.
James adjourns meeting at 8:45pm, seconded by Esther.
© Renfrew Elementary School PAC
3315 22 Ave E Vancouver, BC V5M 2Z2, Tel: (604) 713-4851 Fax: (604) 713-4854